One of the more interesting observations I've made over here is that figuring out how to say "Hello" and "Goodbye" is a process within itself, and varies depending on who is on the receiving end of it.
Case 1: Austrians. Hello and goodbye is said with a handshake and a kiss(ish) on each cheek - You always start right cheek to right cheek, because it's natural off the handshake? (Doesn't make sense? Shake the hand of the air in front of you, and then go to kiss with your left cheek first. Awkward)
Case 2: Americans. Hugs are completely acceptable, especially from women. I'm definitely a hugger, and almost everyone who is remotely close to me knows this. I'll hug hello, hug goodbye, hug see-you-later with people I've grown close to (obviously not people I'm just introduced to - that's just weird.) At the end of my ethics class, many of my project group members were leaving and I wouldn't ever see them again. Irinia, from Russia, and I hugged goodbye, same with Angelica from Italy. I went to hug Angela from Portugal, and while she gave me a hug back, she said that people in Portugal don't do that - You'll kiss on the cheeks, like Austrians, or just shake hands to say goodbye. I've gotta be more cautious so as not to make people uncomfortable.
Case 3: Many from Asian origins. While I didn't have any firsthand experience with this, I definitely noticed that when many Asians acknowledged each others presence, they said "Hello" while bowing - think the beginning of a fight on The Karate Kid. I feel like if I attempted to do this, I would be a. a poser and may be b. accused of mocking. Either way, it's different and uncomfortable.
Note to self: Before traveling to a different country after this international experience, google the different greeting gestures and words that are appropriate in that region. I definitely don't want to come across as an ignorant American.
No comments:
Post a Comment